Saturday 28 January 2012

The Joys of Urban Running

I love urban running! Not for long you understand, but the sheer pleasure of taking off out of a hotel & exploring the locale is a real joy that has come late to me.


In Dallas on Day One I asked where the locals ran. Not so much was her response, they all got cars here. However she did recommend I ran around the parking lot several times as it was 'pretty big'. 


Well the beauty of the breaking day in Dallas just meant a trip to the top floor gym was simply not acceptable, and the grass verges proved an unusual and challenging route near but not on the freeway.


I strapped on the Nike Free Runners, and with a rare spring in my step took off. Now I don't run for long,  but neither would I say I 'jog'. As Vern Gambetta would say, "why train yourself to run slow?". (Check out Vern here
So I like to get some hip extension to my running gait, and a pace that leaves me 'peching' as we would say in Glasgow as a student with the cardiac Rehab class. After 18 months I am thoroughly in love with running in minimalist shoes: sure, check the debate out (Natural Running Debate-view from the front row & Barefoot Running Protagonists spar online) but my personal pleasure in urban running has definitely been enhanced by the use of minimalist shoes.


Some folks take urban running pretty seriously-I recall seeing in Belgium last year the Running Guided Tour which I figure was a brilliant device: it is a concept that offers runners who travel for leisure or business the opportunity to discver & learn about the history & landmarks of a city with a local running Guide.

Check them out for details for their global operations: 

Wherever and however far you run, just enjoy it!


I love urban running. Just not for too long in one go!

No comments:

Post a Comment